Tinting Windows applies to some procedures in which a crystalline piece of coating is applied to windows to tackle strong sunlight and harmful UV rays & to keep the interior cool.
Primarily, tinted windows were used for automobiles, but now they are also used in residential and commercial areas.
By giving it, a try will not cost you anything. On the internet, you will find a number of videos on “What are Window Tinting” & “How Long Does It Take To Tint Windows,” but maximum will go in vain, and this will cost you valuable time too. So, is it really a very tough task? And how long does it take to tint windows?
Have a glance at our step by step guidelines to discover how long will it take to tint your windows:
How Long Does Window Tinting Take:
It doesn’t matter whether you want to tint either your residential or commercial or car windows; the whole procedure requires utmost self-possession and care.
The required amount of time it will take to tint windows depends first and foremost upon two factors:
- The number of windows in your house, office, or car: For every window, you have to go through the same set of procedures. If you have more windows, it will take more time. Even windows size will come into calculation.
- How complex the structure of the windows is: If the structure or shape of the window is awkward and complex and if you don’t have a pre-cut tint, then you have to spend a lot of cutting time. So, it will take longer than usual.
Can I Tint My Windows By Myself:
You may be thinking, can I tint my window by myself? Well, the answer is, Yes. However, you must be very careful while doing that because if you are an amateur, you have to be very focused while tinting your windows. Otherwise, there is always a risk of a peeling and bubble tint that looks ugly and unprofessional. So, it is best suggested to tint the windows with the help of a professional.
Is it necessary to Remove old tints:
Yes, it is necessary to remove old tints before you can apply new ones. Removing old tints is not as easy as it looks. You can follow the below steps to know how to remove old tints:
- Using a combination of soapy water and Scraping can be a good idea. Some people use soapy water and newspapers together.
- Take your time and remove the tint gently. If you rush, it may break, which will make the process lengthier.
- If this does not work properly, you may use a standard window cleaner or adhesive remover.
How to Tint Residential Windows:
If you like to take on challenges and are very skillful in DIY projects, then tinting your own home windows could be a great project for you. If you want to tint your windows at home, then follow the below steps:
- Clean your window with a clean piece of clothes and use glass cleaner liquid.
- Make sure you remove the old tints if there were any.
- Protect your floor and furniture before the tint is being installed. Keep enough space so that you can work freely.
- Then, we should measure the length and breadth of the window glass. Write your findings and then measure for the second time to make sure your measurement is correct. After you have finished taking measurements, cut the film very carefully.
- Before attaching the film with the window, add an adhesive coating. Spray both the window and film with soapy water to keep them wet.
- Install the tinting film on the interior and exterior side of the window glass, making your windows standing upright and make sure the tinting film is set perfectly in the glass frame.
- If any bubble appears, use a squeegee to remove them. If any excess film stays, you should trim it to make it look good.
How to Tint Commercial Windows:
There is not much difference between installing a commercial window tint and residential window tint. It usually takes more time to tint commercial windows because of big and larger windows.
If you want to tint your windows at the office, then follow the below steps:
- Clean your window with a clean piece of clothes and use glass cleaner liquid. An important factor which should be taken into account is whether there is any old tint on the window glass. If there is any old tint, then first, that should be removed before applying a new one.
- Make the glass ready for adhesion. If anything is left behind in the glass, it will get stuck with the film and will create unwanted bumps, which is not really good for the professional business.
- The length and the breadth of the glass should be measured very carefully. Write your findings and then measure for the second time to make sure your measurement is correct. After you have finished taking measurements, cut the film very carefully.
- Add adhesive coating, i.e., spray both windows and film with soapy water to keep them wet.
- Apply the tinting film to the window and make sure it is set perfectly.
- After installing, if you see any bubbles on the tinting film, use a squeegee. If any excess film stays, you should trim it to make it look good.
Though it is a lengthy process, it will give a tasteful look to your professional business.
How to Tint Car Windows:
Tinting car windows does not take as long to tint residential and commercial windows. It can take about 2-3 hours to tint all the windows of a car. It may vary depending upon the type of vehicle. Besides, the windows of the cars may have awkward shapes. So, we must be very careful while installing the tinting film on car windows.
If you want to tint your car windows, follow the below steps:
- Clean your car window with a clean piece of clothes and use glass cleaner liquid, and make it ready for adherence.
- Make sure you remove the old tints if there were any.
- If you find pre-cut tints for your model of car then, use them. But, if they do not fit perfectly, try to make few adjustments, i.e., trimming.
- You may take your car to the auto shop. They will cut the film by machine, and that will give a good finishing look which you will not get by hand.
- Be very careful while cutting the film because if you make any mistake, you will waste your tinted film as well as your energy.
- Finally, when you are going to attach the tinting film to the window, keep both the glass and tint wet by spraying with soapy water. Place the film and if you see unwanted bubbles, use a squeegee to remove them.
Drying is Important:
After installation of the tint, it’s now time to dry it properly for a week or two. Until it’s absolutely dry, you are not allowed to touch it anyhow. You should avoid opening or closing the windows. You cannot tell only by observing whether your tint is absolutely dry or not.
You may notice small water bubbles after the tint is being installed, which is perfectly a normal issue. It should go away naturally over time after the tinting film is completely dried out.
Summer and Spring is the best time to tint your windows. Because of the warm temperature, sunny weather, and low humidity, the tints dry more quickly than any other time of the year. When there is low humidity in the air, everything dries faster. Therefore, Spring and Summer are perfect, and to roll your windows down, and you won’t need to wait for a long time.
But, if you tint your windows during winter or fall, the drying time may take from 2-5weeks because of the cold temperature. It depends on the number of sunny days, the level of humidity in the air, the temperature at your home, office, or garage, etc. Drying time really slows down when the weather is cold. Humidity causes a serious problem when you tint your windows in winter.
For your car, if it is possible, you may take it to an auto shop and keep it there for a few days so that you won’t need to open your door until the tint is dry.
Even after you dry your car in winter, do not hesitate to bring out your car and drive in the presence of sunlight.
Make sure there are no bubbles and if there are any, try to fix it before the tint dries. Otherwise, after some days, it may get worse.
Advantages of Tinted Windows:
Though it takes a longer period of time to tint windows, it is well worth it! There are many advantages to a tinted window. The advantages are as follows:
- Tinted windows tackle the heat coming from the sun and also hold the heat when it’s cold outside.
- It helps to keep your furniture new for a longer period by keeping out the harmful UV ray coming from the sun. Furniture can be harmed by the harmful UV rays causing it to break down over time.
- Tinted windows can also provide security. The glass cannot be removed very easily due to the film installed in the window. So. No one can easily break into your home or business.
- Tinting windows is a reasonable option since without replacing the window, we can just get the window tinted. It saves money and saves us from harmful UV rays.
- If you want some privacy from the people of the street, then the window tint can help you out. The tinting film protects the view from the outside and provides you better privacy.
So, the answer to the question “How long does it take to tint windows” will always depend on various factors and will always be one of the most tricky questions. Depending upon manpower, the number of windows, size of the windows, the answer to the question varies.
If your work is done by a professional, it will not take more than half a day. But, if your work is done by yourself and if the situation gets worse, you may put yourself under pressure, and it may take a day or two to finish.
The drying time for both cases would be a week or even a month, depending on temperature and humidity.
Finally, you are ready to go to make your first step to color your windows after considering all of the above points and factors.