Getting your tools well organised can be very helpful when you are on a scaffold or an EWP trying to reach the right-sized pliers, or with your head under a bonnet reaching for a ratchet spanner. A toolbox organiser can make the difference between laying your hand on the tool you need straight away or rummaging around in a toolbox and posing a safety hazard on-site or in the garage. To help you choose the most suitable toolbox organiser here are some pros and cons for each option.
Toolbox organiser insert.
These pouches slot into your tool case and provide secure removable boards that will hold all your screwdrivers, pliers and spanners.
- Can choose modular or pocket style
- Comes with multiple tool pockets
- Options for holding documents as well as tools
- Can be designed for a specific toolbox rather than universal so make sure you have the right model toolbox before you buy.
Foam trays fit into your toolbox to provide protection and organisation for all tools.
- Can be used for tools of any size
- Offer tools protection from damage and damp
- Can fit into any size toolbox
- Less durable than other types of tray
- Horizontal position only
Plastic Organiser trays
These trays are durable and come in a wide array of configurations.
- Suitable for most toolboxes
- Removable and portable
- Can be used for most types of tools including spanners, screwdrivers and pliers, with compartments for fasteners, lugs, rivets and gaskets.
- Comes in different configurations for multiple options
- Limited space for handled tools
- Smaller compartments do not have lids
- Need to stay horizontal
Tool Roll or Wallet
Tool rolls offer a flexible option for tool organisation and are a convenient way to store and transport small tools and sets. Wallets provide compartments for a set of screwdrivers, pliers or spanners as well as other size pouches. The wallet can zip up and has a handle to carry while the roll rolls up and can be fastened by Velcro or a fastener. Both can fit inside a toolbox and be taken out on-site or wherever required.
- Multiple styles and designs for individual requirements
- Lightweight and portable
- Easily opened with accessible storage options for tools
- Fits into any toolbox or tool bag
- Limited space for holding tools
- Soft exterior provides little protection for tools
This plastic vertical tool holder fits into the Tool Taco toolbox, held in place by a Velcro strip. It is available in two sizes and opens via a 1/ open pouch.
- Available in different sizes
- Can hold any shape tool
- Held securely in place inside toolbox
- Only suitable for Tool Taco toolbox
- Less portable than other tool organisers.
The tool organiser you choose will depend on the type of implements you use the most, and how many tools you need for your job.